How to Update/Upgrade a Router's Firmware - Step by step
Most of us have a Router in our homes and we are using them to access the internet with all our devices. And most of us too as we might not have the means, usually go for the cheaper routers. May be not only because of the means but also to save some money for other important things.
But with these cheap ones, we usually get outdated firmware in these routers and usually find ourselves at times with a router without use due to an outdated firmware. Well, why not install an update today and start enjoying your router at it's fullest?
Get in this article the best ways you can update or upgrade your router's firmware.
How to Update My Router Firmware
Most of us are aware of the need of keeping our smartphones, laptops, and other connected devices up to date with the most recent version of the operating system, also known as "the OS." Updates are produced to repair bugs, add new functionality, improve performance, and increase the vital security elements that protect our personal data and privacy with each new OS version, whether it's Apple iOS, Google Android, Microsoft Windows, or something else. Most gadget manufacturers, fortunately, make the upgrade process straightforward. They notify us when a new version of the operating system is available, and all we have to do is affirm that we wish to install it. Our smartphone is upgraded and ready to use again after a few minutes.
But what about that Wi-Fi router that's been rotting away on the shelf for the past few years? Is it also in need of updating? Of course, the answer is yes! The software that runs on your Wi-Fi router is known as "firmware," and it's critical to update the firmware on your router on a regular basis, even if your home Wi-Fi appears to be working fine.
Many people that have outdated Firmware usually wonder how they can update their router's firmware but now, this article has come to facilitate the work for you.
What is a Router Firmware?
The software that comes preinstalled on the router is known as the router's firmware. This software is available from each router maker. It governs all of the device's inner workings, just like the operating systems that operate on your smartphone or personal computer. It's the firmware, for example, that allows your router to interact wirelessly with your devices; it helps secure your network from malware, viruses, and other dangers; and it's the software that allows you to modify your router's settings.
Why do I need to update my firmware?
Every firmware upgrade includes advanced fixes for problems and issues. The router can now calibrate with new hardware and complex software thanks to these changes.
Updating the router entails updating the router's software version, also known as firmware, which controls all router functions. Updating the router also updates the firmware inside the router, fixing any flaws or defects seen in prior firmware versions.
Requirements To Update Firmware On Router
For a very delicate thing like this, to do it, you will have o gather everything needed first before going for it. And what you will need is;
- Login Details
- An Ethernet cable: The safest approach for connecting your router is to use an Ethernet wire. The Internet cannot be obstructed by using an Ethernet cable.
- A Laptop or computer
- Active Internet connection
- Router's IP Address
How can I find my router's IP address?
Follow these simple procedures to determine your router's IP address:
- Click on the “Start” button, type command prompt, or cmd in the search field.
- When you open the command prompt, you'll see a dark screen with a blinking cursor.
- On the screen, type "ipconfig" and hit enter.
- A lot of information will be available on the internet.
- Take note of the "Default Gateway Address."
- The IP address will be 192.168.2.1.
With these things set and done, you can now be able to start your update or upgrade.
How to Update Wifi Router
1. How to Update Firmware on Netgear Router
To do this update, follow the steps below;
1. Open any web browser(Chrome Recommended) and type the IP address of your router into the search box, then click "Enter."
2. If you are using Chrome, then a safety screen will appear. Select "Advanced" from the drop-down menu.
3. Next, select the IP address from the drop-down menu (unsafe).
4. A dialog box window will now appear, which will prompt you to input the credentials to log in as the admin in the router settings
5. NETGEAR admin router settings screen will appear and on the next screen, click on the "ADVANCED" area.
6. Scroll down to the "Firmware Update" section on the left of the ADVANCED section. Simply click on it.
7. A screen (Firmware Update) will appear. Wait for some time, then a screen will show with the firmware update version data. When you click "Yes," the router will begin to download.
8. Once the download is complete, a new window will emerge, displaying the firmware update progress.
9. A new screen will show, indicating that the router is rebooting.
10. Reboot the router, and the firmware will be updated.
This is a simple way on how you can upgrade your Netgear Router Firmware. Let's go to the next one and see how you can update your DD-WRT Router Firmware.
2. How to Update DD-WRT Router Firmware
Well, doing an update is usually much more easier than doing the installation process itself. And for the DD-WRT router firmware, it will be a typical example of that. Though they usually advise that for the installation or upgrade process, you should reset your router and start the installation process from the beginning for more efficiency.
But that could be a very broad process for most people and more to that, this does not write off the fact that you can just do a normal upgrade without resetting your router. And to do that, you can folow the steps below;
1. To begin, you must first download the correct file for your router. To do so, go to any of the following addresses and search for your router's model:
You will have to browse through any of the above links to get the right updated version for your router.
2. Next, open the router’s GUI (by default located at 192.168.1.1), go to the Administration tab and choose the Firmware Upgrade tab.
3. Select the file you already downloaded using the Browse... option.
4. Finally, select Upgrade and wait for the router to restart.
Well, this is how easy it can be to do the upgrade. Nevertheless, if you will want to reset your router and restart the installation process from Zero, then you can just click HERE and follow the steps to do your installation proper.
What is the procedure for resetting Router Configurations?
Press and hold the "reset" button on the router's backside for 10 seconds to restore factory settings. This will restore the router's factory default settings.
3. How to Update Router Firmware On Linksys
Search for firmware upgrades using the model number of your router on the Linksys Support webpage. This will assist you in downloading the most recent firmware version.
1) Open your web browser, go to the search tab, and type in the IP address of your router.
2) Type in the appropriate username and password.
3) Click "Administration" when you have successfully logged in.
4) Now, click on "Firmware Upgrade."
5) Select the downloaded file by clicking "Browse."
6) Now press the "Start Upgrade" button.
The process bar will be visible; try not to interrupt it and wait for the firmware upgrade to complete.
4. Upgrading OpenWrt firmware using LuCI and CLI
We have been talking and showing the step by step guide on how you can upgrade your router firmware. And now, let's get to continue with the upgrade of the OpenWRT Firmware.
This method won't be any different from the previous methods we have been showing as this method will still require you to download the latest version of the firmware, then click on it to be able to install it.
And to do that, simply click HERE and follow the procedure step after step and you will be on the right track to update your router's firmware. And these methods above will be done using LUCI and CLI.
5. Update TP-Link Router Firmware
The TP-Link router website has the most recent firmware update for your router.
Then take the following steps:
1) Once the file has been downloaded, unzip it and save it somewhere convenient for you.
2) Fill in the login information (as admin).
3) Go to the "System Tools" page and select the "Firmware Upgrade" option after logging in.
4) Now press the "Browse" button to look for the modified file.
5) Double-click the file to choose it after browsing it.
6) Finally, click the "Update" option and wait for the update to finish.
7) Unplug the router and reboot it after the firmware upgrade is complete.
The firmware of your router will be upgraded and ready to use.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
What Happens if my Firmware upgrading fails?
Moving out of range, exiting the app, or making a phone call while upgrading are all reasons for firmware upgrade failure. So, if you find yourself in this circumstance, go to management and request that the firmware upgrade be resumed.
What happens if I don’t upgrade Firmware?
If the user doesn’t upgrade the firmware on the router, then the router’s firmware may stay unexposed to the latest fixes of the flaws and malfunctions. Because the code encoded on the device can only read the older version and patterns of hardware devices, it will not be compatible with new hardware devices if the firmware is not upgraded.
What if I forget my router password?
In this scenario, there is a small button on the backside of your router with the letters "reset" written on it. Please hold the button down for 10 seconds to reset the router to its default settings.
Closing Remarks on How to Upgrade My Router Firmware
We studied how to upgrade router firmware for various routers in the following article. Firmware functions as a barrier between network traffic and your potential data, acting as a protective screen. As a result, keeping your firmware up to date is critical because it serves as your shield. When a corporation delivers a firmware update, it is a patch for all the flaws and glitches in the previous version of the software.
It is also critical to look after the hardware. Installing an antivirus on your computer is comparable to updating router firmware. If you found this helpful, just hit the button below and follow our blog or join us on telegram for more related articles like this. And also for more articles you can request us to bring to you.
Never Miss Anything From Us, Follow this Blog to Receive our Latest Updates